Have you ever considered how your daily multivitamin contributes to your gut health? Which micronutrients are critical for microbiome balance? And is it possible for a doctor to decipher whether you have gut dysfunction merely by looking at a blood nutrient panel?
Our guest today is Dr. Arland Hill, the clinical director of Genesis Wellness, a doctor of chiropractic and a board-certified diplomat of the American Clinical Board of Nutrition. He has been practicing since 2003 with a clinical focus on the use of science-based natural therapies for the management of chronic diseases.
On this episode, he talks to Andrea about why micronutrients are imperative for optimal gut health and breaks down which nutrients are most important when we’re talking about balancing the microbiome. To put it all into perspective, the two also go over Andrea’s micronutrient panel and Dr. Hill gives some real-world tips for how she can better balance her gut.
To download Dr. Hill’s 30 energizing breakfast recipes and learn more about his work, head to drarlandhill.com.
On this show, you’ll learn:
- The impact of micronutrients on the activity of the microbiome (2:24)
- The cycle of the microbiota producing and using their byproducts (3:57)
- Vitamin B5 and Vitamin D (5:45)
- How it’s not just the quantity of these nutrients (7:55)
- Is supplementation a short term fix or can it be used long term? (10:02)
- Testing for deficiencies (11:02)
- When looking at test results, can issues with the gut be seen? (13:01)
- Common deficiency patterns (15:03)
- How combining nutrients plays a factor (19:51)
- The importance of finding the proper practitioner (22:29)
- Andrea’s own test results (24:39)
- The dynamics of a fructose sensitivity (30:00)
- Dr. Hill’s favorite ways to increase antioxidants (33:36)
- How to find out more about the SpectraCell test (34:52)
Tune in on iTunes here:
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for listening to the show. If you enjoyed this episode and think others could benefit from listening, please share it.
Do you have feedback or questions about this episode?
Email us at [email protected]
Subscribe to the podcast
If you would like to get automatic updates of new podcast episodes, you can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, or from the podcast app on your mobile device.
Leave us an iTunes review
Ratings and reviews from our listeners are extremely valuable to us and greatly appreciated. They help our podcast rank higher on iTunes, which exposes our show to more awesome listeners like you. If you have a minute, please leave an honest review on iTunes.