Our skin is our largest organ, so it makes sense that its health would reflect the health of what’s going on internally, though not many people think about that connection. In fact, many of us try to fix problem skin by focusing first on the external with topical cleansers, creams, serums, and toners.
Dr. Trevor Cates (The Spa Doctor) was the first women licensed as a naturopathic doc in California and currently lives in Park City, Utah where she helps patients from around the world achieve graceful aging and glowing skin. She also hosts The Spa Dr. weekly podcast and has her own PBS special, Younger Skin From Within.
Her best-selling book, Clean Skin From Within, dives deep into why the health of our bodies is written all over our faces.
On this show, she talks about how the microbiome of our skin is disrupted when our gut microbiome is disrupted, how we can improve our skin by identifying the root cause of our skin woes, and gives she Andrea some tips on the best things we can do for our skin to maintain lifelong health.
To take the skin quiz, go to theskinquiz.com. Be sure to follow Dr. Cates on her website at thespadr.com and on social at the handles below:
On this show, you’ll learn:
- How our skin is a reflection of what’s happening inside our body (3:32)
- How our genetics and lifestyle choices play a role in skin health (5:44)
- Are we getting too good at killing germs? (8:12)
- Best food choices for the skin microbiome (10:12)
- Find your skin type at www.theskinquiz.com (11:29)
- The 6 root causes explained (12:34)
- Skin care products for the skin microbiome (15:06)
- Long-term effects of some skin care products (15:52)
- How a skin care routine changes over our life (17:26)
- The best things we can do for our skin (20:45)
- What Dr. Cates is most excited about moving forward (24:37)
Like what you hear, join us Thursdays here:
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for listening to our podcast! If you enjoyed this episode and think that others could benefit from listening, please share it using the social media buttons on this page.
Do you have some feedback or questions about this episode? Email us
Subscribe to the podcast
If you would like to get automatic updates of new podcast episodes, you can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes or Stitcher. You can also subscribe from the podcast app on your mobile device.
Leave us an iTunes review
Ratings and reviews from our listeners are extremely valuable to us and greatly appreciated. They help our podcast rank higher on iTunes, which exposes our show to more awesome listeners like you. If you have a minute, please leave an honest review on iTunes.