Ever wonder what it really means to “boost your immune system”? Or, have you stopped to think about the measures of good immunity beyond just not getting sick?
Our guest today is clinical nutritionist Josh Gitalis. You may remember Josh from our previous episode on autoimmunity. He’s a recognized expert in the fields of clinical detoxification and therapeutic supplementation.
Josh is the first Canadian nutritionist to become an Institute for Functional Medicine Certified Practitioner (IFMCP), in addition to running his Toronto-based, private practice, with a worldwide client base.
We wanted to bring Josh back on the show to shine the light on overall immunity: how do things work when they’re working well…and how can we make them work better?
On this episode, Josh speaks with Andrea about how 70-80% of the immune system lives in the gut and how inflammation correlates strongly with healthy immunity. They also discuss why some people have more severe reactions to the same virus, bacteria or pathogen, and he gives tips on how to support immunity in the short- and long-term.
To take advantage of Josh’s offer for listeners, head to https://www.joshgitalis.com/functional-reset-program/ and use promo code “mrfrp” to get the Prime version of his course for $98 (regularly $395), or use promo code “mbfrpessential” to upgrade to the essential level for $295 (regularly $595), which includes customized recommendations and four 1-1 sessions with a functional nutrition coach.
Resources mentioned on the show:
On this show, you’ll learn:
- How the immune system works and why it’s intricately linked to gut health (3:15)
- Microbiota impact on immunity (5:52)
- Measures of good immunity beyond not getting sick (8:26)
- The relationship between the gut and inflammation (9:35)
- Why some people have a bigger immune response then others to COVID-19 (11:39)
- What is a cytokine storm? (14:55)
- What “boosting the immune system” actually means (19:57)
- COVID-19 and Vitamin C (21:43)
- Changes that can help your immune system immediately and over time (23:56)
- The best and worst practices in the time of self-quarantining (25:33)
- On average, how long does it take to move from a chronic inflammation state to something healthier? (28:55)
- Products that can help during times of higher stress (30:19)
- What Josh and his family are doing to stay as healthy as possible (33:43)
- Josh’s course and listener discount (35:58)
Tune in on iTunes here:
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for listening to the show. If you enjoyed this episode and think others could benefit from listening, please share it.
Do you have feedback or questions about this episode?
Email us at [email protected]
Subscribe to the podcast
If you would like to get automatic updates of new podcast episodes, you can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, or from the podcast app on your mobile device.
Leave us an iTunes review
Ratings and reviews from our listeners are extremely valuable to us and greatly appreciated. They help our podcast rank higher on iTunes, which exposes our show to more awesome listeners like you. If you have a minute, please leave an honest review on iTunes.