Would you buy a food or supplement that promised to do all of this daily:
- Develop antibodies against pathogens you’d been exposed to
- Change based on the weather
- Alter itself to support your current level of wellness
- Provide all of the macro and micronutrients you need to survive and thrive
- Bolster your immune system – for life
- Support your microbiome and feed beneficial strains
Eating such a food would be a no brainer, and in fact, it would be heralded as the key to health. It would be celebrated on every magazine cover and likely cost an arm and a leg.
Now, what if we told you that this magic food IS available and the best part is: it’s produced for free. Of course, we’re talking about breastmilk, the foundation of the infant diet and an all around rockstar when it comes to packing a nutritional punch.
But it wasn’t always this way. For decades, mothers were told that formula was a superior choice to breastmilk, both nutritionally and for matters of convenience. Now we know, however, that breastmilk is one of the first building blocks of a healthy microbiome and has wide-ranging implications for the adult immune system.
Joining Andrea on the show to discuss breastfeeding and human milk is Dr. Ann Witt, a board certified family physician, Fellow of the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine and an international board certified lactation consultant.
On this show, Dr. Witt talks about how breastmilk shapes the infant microbiome and sets the stage for future gut health. She also dives into how and why breastmilk changes based on the outside world, including whether it’s pumped or frozen, and why it’s so difficult to replicate breastmilk in formula. Dr. Witt also offers tips and resources to make the journey easier for mothers struggling with breastfeeding.
If you’ve ever shrugged off breastfeeding as an optional choice or questioned the necessity of breastmilk, you absolutely cannot miss this episode.
To find more breastfeeding resources and connect with Dr. Witt, head to www.bfmedneo.com.
On this show, you’ll learn:
- Why breastmilk is such a miraculous substance and why breastfeeding is so important (2:32)
- Breastmilk versus formula (4:23)
- The different factors that make up breast milk (5:35)
- How breastmilk constantly changes (6:30)
- Ratios of fat and macro nutrients (7:29)
- How a baby’s microbiome evolves (8:51)
- Why the difficulty in creating an infant formula that stands up to breastmilk (10:50)
- Certain foods that can influence the quality of the breast milk (15:17)
- Changes when it comes to pumped, refrigerated and frozen breast milk (17:42)
- Creation of antibodies in the breastmilk (18:58)
- Moms who are having a tough time, or choose not to breastfeed (22:12)
- Length of time and age recommendations for breastfeeding (25:25)
- Available resources for those looking for help (28:21)
Tune in on iTunes here:
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for listening to the show. If you enjoyed this episode and think others could benefit from listening, please share it.
Do you have feedback or questions about this episode?
Email us at [email protected]
Subscribe to the podcast
If you would like to get automatic updates of new podcast episodes, you can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, or from the podcast app on your mobile device.
Leave us an iTunes review
Ratings and reviews from our listeners are extremely valuable to us and greatly appreciated. They help our podcast rank higher on iTunes, which exposes our show to more awesome listeners like you. If you have a minute, please leave an honest review on iTunes.